Bangladesh, officially the People's Republic of Bangladesh, is a country in South Asia; and is bordered by India to its west, north, and east; Burma to its southeast and separated from Nepal and Bhutan by the Chicken’s Neck corridor.
Bangladesh offers an unparalleled investment climate compared to the other South Asian economies. Here are 10 key pointers to Bangladesh's investment climate today.
1. Bangladesh is a largely homogeneous society with no major internal or external tensions and a population with great resilience in the face of adversity (e.g. natural calamities).
2. Bangladesh is a liberal democracy. The population of this country irrespective of race or religion has been living in harmony and understanding for thousands of years.
3.Broad non-partisan political support for market-oriented reform and the most investor-friendly regulatory regime in South Asia.
4.Trainable, enthusiastic, hardworking, and low-cost (even by regional standards) labor force suitable for any labor-intensive industry.
5. The geographic location of the country is ideal for global trade, with very convenient access to international sea and air routes.
6. Bangladesh is endowed with an abundant supply of natural gas, water, and its soil is very fertile.
7. Although Bengali (Bangla) is the official language, English is generally used as a second language. The majority of the educated population can read, write, and speak in English.
8. As a result of low per capita GDP, the present domestic consumption is not significant. However, it should always be considered that there exists a middle class with over 10% of the population. As economic growth picks up, the purchasing power will also grow substantially.
9. A land of hospitality both from government and mass people
10. Bangladesh is offering a good number of fiscal and non-fiscal incentives like tax holidays five years in different slaves for the first five years in Dhaka and Chittagong, seven years for other cities. For export-oriented industries duty-free import of machinery and spare parts, bonded warehouse facility, up to 90% bank loan against LC, Permanent residence facilities is available upon investment minimum USD 75000, and citizenship is available for minimum USD 0.5 million investment. Repatriation facilities for invested amount with earned profit, dividends while exiting. A favorable budgetary incentive is also available for foreign investors here in Bangladesh.
Bangladeshi products enjoy duty-free and quota-free access to almost all the developed countries. This access to the global market is further helped by the fact that the policy regime of Bangladesh for foreign direct investment is by far the best in South Asia. Most Bangladeshi products enjoy complete duty and quota-free access to the EU, Canada, Australia, and Norway.
Though on a limited scale, Bangladesh products already found their access with lower duty in the markets of Thailand, India, and Pakistan. However, talks are underway with China, Russia, Malaysia, and other neighboring countries in this regard.